Message from Embassy of India, Kuwait
THE Government of India has taken several policy measures since 2007 for the protection and welfare of Indian female domestic workers coming to the GCC countries for employment, says a press release issued by the Embassy of India, Kuwait.
The policy measures are as follows:
- The female domestic worker should not be less than 30 years of age.
- The Employment Contract should be between the sponsor and the worker and that the attestation of this contract is mandatory from Indian Embassy.
- Every employer recruiting an Indian female domestic worker has to provide a bank guarantee of $2,500 with the Indian Embassy.
- A pre-paid mobile phone should be provided by the employer to the domestic worker.
- Payment of minimum monthly wage to female domestic workers (KD 70 per month in Kuwait).
- 24x7 Telephone Helpline, run by the Embassy, for information and advice to Indian workers as regards their grievances, immigration and other matters.
- The bank guarantee policy measure has already been implemented in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar.
As it is now necessary to submit the bank guarantee of US $ 2,500 by sponsors in Kuwait employing Indian female domestic workers, the Embassy had issued a press release on Sept 12, 2014.
There is no denying the fact that there have been many instances in the past of non-payment of wages, severe physical and mental abuse, and acute harassment of Indian domestic workers in Kuwait. Very often passports of Indian domestic workers are kept by their sponsors in Kuwait.
Source: Arab Times