Kuwait Civil Defense Department to test sirens tomorrow
Kuwait: The Civil Defense Department will sound warning sirens at 10:00 am tomorrow, Tuesday, November 24, 2015 as a trial in all areas of Kuwait to make sure about the performance of the sirens and their need for maintenance or repair. The trial also aims at educating citizens and expats on the sirens tones and indications.
The interior ministry’s relations and security information department said the instructions that go along with operating the sirens require compliance with the following:
First: The first tone (intermittent), which means the near occurrence of danger or catastrophe.
When you hear this tone, you should do the following:
- Do not be confused, be calm and have self-control.
- Shut down sources of gas and electricity and place combustible material in a safe place.
- Do not use electric elevators.
- Go down to the ground floor.
- Go to basements or shelters if possible.
- Listen to the media to get correct instructions about civil defense.
Second: Second tone (wavy), which means the occurrence of the danger or catastrophe.
When you hear this tone, you should take the following measures:
- Put out all outside lights, then put out all lights after all those present have gone to the first floor or basement.
- Get away from entrances and windows.
- Use torches while moving around the place you are in.
- Listen to official media.
- Remain in place and do not leave until you hear the safe siren.
Third: Third tone (continuous), which means the danger of catastrophe has gone.
When you hear this tone, do the following:
- Check on family members and those present in the shelter.
- Do not gather near affected areas to avoid any danger and obstructing civil defense from carrying out their duties.
- Do not pick any objects you may find on the ground even if they are familiar (pens, lighters, bright containers, etc) because they may be enemy traps, and inform authorities about them.
- Do not believe in rumors and do not repeat them because they are a weapon used by the enemy to suppress morale.
- Listen to official media to follow instructions.
Source: Kuwait Times [Link]